Wednesday, April 1, 2009

day -1/2

Last night was much better. They gave me the ATG (rabbit stuff) and I did not react at all. No temperature or anything. I got decent sleep during the night. To help out they ran the ATG into me at a slower rate and changed the timing of the premeds. Anyway it worked. I did get platelets during the night as my platelets dropped below 10.

Blood counts. Platelets=9 White blood cells=.4 Red blood cells=28.6

I am officially neutropenic today so they are going to start some antibiotics just in case since I am more prone to infection. My stem cells (bone marrow) are supposed to arive sometime tonight. Dr Bearman said they will infuse them tomorrow morning because the shelf life is 48 hours. So it looks like my new birthday will be 2 April.

Nanette will arrive about 1PM today. I walked this morning and will go out for 20 more minutes now. A hospital chaplain and dietician paid me a visit today along with the nurses, doctor & nurse practioner. Never a dull moment.

The day went downhill from there. Diarrhea, temperature of 102 and urinary frequency started and continued throughout the night. They took urine and stool samples and started Jeff on both intravenous antibiotics--cefepime as well as oral levaquin. I stayed overnight with him. He was up every 10-20 minutes to the bathroom. I have run 2 loads of wash since last night. His appetite isn't good at this point. He is doing the brat diet at this time. So long for now.

4 comments:

  1. Jeff,

    Glad that day -1/2 went better than day -1. It looks like everything is on schedule and looking good for transplant tomorrow. Good luck and you will be through it in no time at all. Take care.

    Love, Ken, Karen & Kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. YEa!! I am so glad that today is going better than yesterday...that the rabbits aren't affecting you as much :) Love you and talk to you later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love you, hope our stories and funnies keep you in good spirits...as much as possible :-)
    Good luck, remember, always in our thoughts!

    "The 'lizard' followed our car home!' -Mikey

    XOXOXOXO
    De & Mikey

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck Uncle Jeff!
    Love, Steph

    ReplyDelete