Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Day 12

Today is a wonderful.....scary day. Dr. Matous came in today to discuss with Jeff the possibility of going home Friday....Needless to say, we both have had apprehension that was alleviated some by cornering him in the hallway with another wife of a patient who is being discharged Thursday, and asking many questions of him. He wanted to run the other way and stated, "I know there isn't another way out of here."He acted like it wouldn't be a big deal for me to take care of him, and I said, "This isn't my area of expertise; also, it's like taking home a brand new baby." There is a boatload of information that is to be thrown at us the next few days along with plenty of support, but it is interesting how we both are nervous and scared. He also said things can change if there is a fever, he can't keep food down or take his medications by mouth......Today they have switched over some of his iv meds to oral. They placed a fentanyl patch on him for pain management and will take the pump away in about an hour. If this patch doesn't handle his pain, they will make other provisions and changes to help him. Jeff actually ate most of an omelet today. Otherwise, his meals are still the same with ensure, milk shakes, and soup.
Each person who has come in this afternoon has said, "Hey, we hear you get to go home on Friday." His nurse, Esteban, said he could tell there was concern in his Jeff's voice---about those words. Nap, walk, and shower took up this afternoon. Lasix to remove extra fluid both morning and night have been given. His chest xray and echocardiogram were clear. I haven't done any cleaning at home since Jeff has been here. That needs to change as it has to be clean for HOMECOMING. He still has "Kankles." That is today's update with numbers to follow. Thanks one and all!

Platelets--19; Red blood cells--28.8; White blood cells--0.5; ANC--400

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh-good news but scary too. I'd rather stay in the hospital where the doc and nurse are close by. But... its great that they think you are ready. Can you opt to stay longer if you want? Maybe that other man that that is being discharged Thursday can come over to your house and you can both be taken care of by two women.
    Are Kankles large ankles? Hang in there Jeff and Nan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff and Nanette,

    Great news. This is what we have been hoping for. You can do it! Keep fighting and you will be home soon. Do they want your WBCs to increase before you go home? Awesome news! Take care.

    Love, Ken, Karen & Kids

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nanette, can we clean?! Let me know what needs to be done and we can get a crew together. But I am sure it needs to be done a certain way.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to hear Jeff is doing well enough to consider going home Friday. But now I'm going to worry about you, Nanette! That's a lot to be responsible for! And will he promise to be a good patient??

    I am SO glad you have this blog up and going. I'm thinking about you guys every day and I'm glad to be able to check in. Hang in there...
    Marsha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. That is amazing! I'm sure you are totally overwhelmed. However, if anyone can handle it-it's you. Keep us posted. I wish I were there to help.

    ReplyDelete