Saturday, April 25, 2009

Day 23

This is Nanette "blobbing". It is nearly the end of another day; Jeff has been slightly less fatigued today. He didn't let you know that he gets IV fluids at home everyday. A home health nurse came to show us how to operate the pump. Because of what has been done, his electrolytes are out of balance. One that is going to stay out of the "normal" range for awhile--2 months or so according to the nurse practitioner--is magnesium. So, our bottom level of the refrigerator is filled with a week's worth of IV fluids. They adjust amounts and volumes according to what his labwork shows when we go into the Dr.'s office. Each morning I hook him up for about 4 hours. Then he is free for the rest of the day. Today he walked outside for about 20 minutes. We would've done more if it hadn't been so cold. Jeff didn't tell you, but one of the things that a caretaker of a bone marrow transplant patient has to do is handle all of the food, cook it, and clean up. He isn't to help at all due to the possibility of bacteria or fungus. Now that doesn't sound like a big deal, but---I haven't cooked three meals a day for about 4 years. He isn't allowed outside food from restaurants yet either. He has to have a bone marrow biopsy monthly for awhile. The dr came in on Tues. and sat by me, but asked him if he wanted conscious sedation---he meant for the bone marrow biopsy. I said yes. He said he wasn't talking to me. I said I know but that I want conscious sedation because I have to cook three meals a day. I thought it was pretty funny, but the dr didn't crack a smile. He isn't our "normal" dr. Oh well. I am just thrilled to have him home! Our home was just a house with furniture in it while he was in the hospital. Now that he is here, it is so enjoyable. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else doing anything else. He is a fighter and a trooper. I don't know how I would behave with all he has had done to him. Love you all!! Thanks for your support. We'll keep blobbing at least 3 times a week.
Oh, two more awesome things--Cory and Adam put on craigs list something about getting a wii for Jeff and this man responded and now we have one for Jeff to play and have something to do besides sleeping and reading. It was so wonderful of them to think of Jeff!! Cory and Adam are great people who we are so happy to be related to. Sue came up to help me make meals to separate into single meals so that Jeff has choices about what to eat. They are already cooked, so just have to be thawed and warmed in the microwave. It took all of one afternoon. Wonderful sister!

5 comments:

  1. Keep up the blobbing :) Thanks for the update. I'm glad dad's doing better and hope it keeps going that way. Sounds like you both are super busy, even with being at home all day, with all the dr. appts., cooking, fluids, naps, cleaning, etc. Love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're home and doing well. You two are a great team. Keep up the great attitudes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work you two :) Love you guys and miss you guys tons!
    Love,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Jeff and family,
    I'm Jean from the National Bone Marrow Transplant Link. Our organization helps patients and families cope with the social and emotional challenges of transplant by providing vital information and personalized support services. We subscribe to google blog alerts where we found your story.
    Please know that others are thinking of you and pulling for you. I would like to send you our award-winning booklet, "Caregivers' Guide for Bone Marrow/Stem Cell Transplant" if you will send a mailing address to me at jeanjones@nbmtlink.org.
    Please visit our website, www.nbmtlink.org for more information regarding our programs and services, including peer support for patients and caregivers.
    All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so happy to be able to hear how you are both doing without having to bother you for updates. You are both in our prayers and I am so honored to have both of your examples in my life as we go through our own medical issues. Thanks for your realistic view of circumstances dased with optimism to make us feel like there is always something to be happy about.

    ReplyDelete