Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Day -1

I had a very tough night last night. I started reacting to the ATG around 8PM 5 hours into They slowed it down but I had a temperature, low blood pressure, low oxygen and had to get 2 units of blood because my red blood cells are low now. The nurse was in and out of the room all night long working on me and calling the doctor. They say that 75%of the patients have the type of reaction that I had last night. They are hoping it will be better today as I get another dose this afternoon. I feels like I have been hit by a truck. I started feeling better about 5AM when my temperature went down and my blood pressure went up.

The nurse started me on another anti rejection medication today. It supposedly does not have all the side effects of the ATG. Tacrolimus (also FK-506 or Fujimycin) is an immunosuppressive drug whose main use is after allogenic organ transplant to reduce the activity of the patient's immune system and so lower the risk of organ rejection. It is also used in a topical preparation in the treatment of severe atopic dermatitis (eczema), severe refractory uveitis after bone marrow transplants, and the skin condition vitiligo. the infusion.

I think I will get some of it this morning and more later in the day.

Blood counts. Platelets=15 White blood cells=1.2 Red blood cells=22.5

I did get the Tacrolimus all all day long. No reaction to it. They started the ATG again and it went much better. I will put it in tomorrow's blog.

3 comments:

  1. Dad, I miss being there with you. But I know how hard it is for you, I am always thinking of you and please tell me when you want a visitor because I will be there in a heartbeat...I hate seeing you like this. Keep your head up, and remember that Mikey wants his Grampie around for a LONG time! We're rooting for you and love you so much. Call me when you want, I don't want to overwhelm or bug you, but would love to talk to you when you feel up to it.
    Love,
    Deanne and Mikey :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a trooper Dad! This day sounds like it stunk big time for you and I'm so sorry. I hope that you are able to keep pushing through it. You are doing a great job. We're all praying and thinking about you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete