Wednesday, April 21, 2010

1 Year Post Transplant

I just passed a major milestone post-transplant. It was my one year anniversary. My doctor has scheduled many tests to see how things are going. Last week I had a PET scan. It is like a CAT scan but radioactive sugar is injected into my veins. Since cancer cells reproduce much faster than normal cells the radioactive sugar heads straight to the cancer cells and the PET scans lights up where there is cancer. I used to look like a Christmas tree in my PET scans due to all the lymphoma in my body. Now the PET scans are clear with no signs of cancer. I still get nervous before I have the scans since I had so many bad scans before my bone marrow transplant. I think worrying about the cancer returning is one thing I will have to deal with the rest of my life.
I also had a pulmonary function test to measure my lungs. The doctor wants to see if any damage was done by the chemo and transplant. The test went well with my lungs functioning 100%. I have many more tests scheduled for 6 May and will discuss them later. One thing that is coming in the near future is shots to vaccinate me like a new born baby. My immune system was destroyed by the chemo and transplant so I am getting shots just like my grandchildren for DPT, measles, etc.
My family have been great with supporting me during the last year. Nanette has been my strength and caregiver. She keeps me on the right track when I try to cut corners and bend the rules. We are starting to travel more with a trip to see Michelle's family in Sacramento under our belt. We are now near Olympia, Washington visiting Brooke's family. We have a short 4 night cruise scheduled for 10 May from San Diego to Vancouver BC. The doctor said to start living our lives again but take precautions like wearing a mask on airplanes and washing hands.
Thanks for your prayers and support throughout this last year.
Jeff

4 comments:

  1. I'm so grateful that everything has gone so well. I KNOW that it has not been easy at all for you and mom, but you both are so amazing and fight through all the hard stuff. I'm so grateful that you had a bone marrow match and that you chose to do the transplant even though it is super scary and super difficult to go through.

    It's all a miracle and I'm glad I've been able to witness it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! I am so grateful you've been doing so well! Enjoy your cruise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo!! I'm so glad that you are my dad. You are the best dad in the entire world and I am so grateful that everything has been the best outcome that we could hope for. You are amazing. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Halleluja! Such good news! You two are amazing people! I'm so glad I got to rub shoulders with you. I was thinking of you yesterday when I went to Midway Airport to send Jenny Austin home. Cicero...isn't that where you lived?

    ReplyDelete