Friday, April 29, 2011

2 Year Post-Transplant

I wanted to update my blog as I just reached another milestone. This April I am now 2 years from my stem cell transplant on 2 April 2009. It has been a rewarding two years. Nanette and I are almost back to normal in our daily activities. We call it the “new normal”. Dr. Matous said we could lift all of our restrictions beginning 1 July 2011. Some of the restrictions still in place are: 1. No drinking the water at home (well water). I still have to drink distilled water and make my own ice cubes. 2. No wood burning stove. 3. No buffets and salads away from home. 4. Stay away from sick people. 5. No dogs and other animals. There are many more but you get the idea.

I am seeing the doctor every two months. Each visit they drain off a pint of my blood and throw it away. No one wants the blood of someone that has had a blood cancer. My iron level is high from multiple transfusions so taking blood from me reduces the iron level slowly. I may have to do this for another year or so. I had a full body PET/CT scan which was negative for cancer. It shows I have gallstones but we keep hearing that and it is the least of my problems. Dr. Matous stopped my tacrolimis about 2 months ago. It was an immunosuppressant that kept my immune system from rejecting the new stem cells that turned into bone marrow cells. So far I have had no adverse effects. I have to watch for mouth sores, skin issues and other nasty things that might signal graft versus host disease. It would mean my body is fighting the bone marrow. So far no problems, so maybe my body is getting used to the different cells and they are getting along nicely.

Dr. Matous is also stopping me from taking acyclovir. It is a drug that keeps me from getting viruses. Nanette and I are on a cruise right now; when we return home I will discontinue the acyclovir. At that time I will be completely off any medications related to the transplant. I will then be taking only vitamins and minerals like a normal person.

Nanette and I have been playing for the last year making up for lost time while I was sick. We have traveled, and I am sitting on a cruise ship in Guymas, Mexico as I write this blog. Nanette is working 2 days a week until summer and then reduces to 1 day a week. I am enjoying retirement and not sure if I want to return to work again. Right now I am in no hurry to rush back to work.

I want to thank everyone for their help and prayers for me through my illness. It has been tough, but I have a great supporting cast and caregiver. Now I am trying to give back since I am getting a second chance. I want to help those that have to go through cancer/chemo since I have been down that road. Take care and thanks for your support and help.

4 comments:

  1. GREAT NEWS!!! Glad to hear you are still enjoying each other's company!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Dad! Glad that you survived and are enjoying yourself on your cruise. You and mom deserve it, you've been through so much.
    Love, Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad that all is well and that you have a "new normal". You have had such great support from your family, and docs. Kudos to Nanette for her patience. Kudos to you, Jeff, for your good attitude and trying to do what would give the two of you more time together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bone marrow transplant in India - Are you searching for the best Bone marrow transplant hospital in India for Bone marrow transplant treatment in India at an affordable cost? If yes then Al Afiya Medi Tour is one of the best medical tourism companies in India that helps patients from other countries to India for Bone marrow transplant hospitals in India. For more visit:
    Kidney transplant in India

    Liver transplant in India

    ReplyDelete